Tuesday, May 09, 2006

March 15, 2006 - Birds
It was so wonderful to see "Kenny" last night and I love how much the Scrubs cast adore Clay. So, I'm very happy this morning.

I am working on some bird pictures I took the other day and thought I would share with you.

Here is a nice shot of a hummer....female Black Chinned Hummingbird. We don't get as many hummingbirds here in Arizona as I thought. This one is year round, but any others just pass through on their way to Mexico.





Usually my bird feeders (and I have a lot)attract finches, mourning doves, english sparrows - the usual backyard birds. I added a suet holder and some blocks of larger seeds and now have the following birds at my feeders.

A Cactus Wren....love them. This is our largest wren - about 8 inches. This guy looks kind of mean, but they are not!






Another one






A little larger bird that comes around is the Curved Bill Thrasher. Has a fierce orangey eye. They have a distinctive call and I swear they respond when I talk to them. Well, maybe not...but I like to think so. I can always tell when they are around.






And, last for today....my favorite Gila Woodpecker. At first they only came to the hummingbird feeder to drink. Boy, is that a sight. They are almost as big as the feeder. But, when I added the suet and large seed block they now hit those feeders.






And, here she is trying to get a grip on the hummingbird feeder..the guys have a little red patch on their forehead. Not as sharp as I like, they are hard to sneak up on.






OK, I'll add one more. It wouldn't be an Arizona Bird Album without a Roadrunner. Not a very good picture, but the only one I have so far.





Taking bird pictures and birdwatching is one of my favorite hobbies. I always have my binoculars with me....they are very useful at Clay Aiken concerts, as well. See, I knew I could work Clay in here somehow.

All pictures are clickable.

No comments: