Monday, May 15, 2006

I took a stab at farming once....sorta. Several years ago I bought a mini-farm. It was an old mobile home (circa 1972) but situated on 3 beautiful acres. This was what I thought I always wanted, elbow room (tm Daniel Boone)....or did I?

As I am currently selling my house in Arizona and anticipating moving to North or South Carolina (depending on where my son's final job offer lands us). I browse Realtor.com looking for my next home. The kids have to live near his work and good schools, but I can get a little further from town. I don't want to move again after this, I have moved so many times in my life.

So, what do I want? Let's go back to the mini-farm, which should have been ideal...

Pro's - Elbow room, chickens, goats, wonderful fenced garden area, riding my mower around looking cool, koi pond, roses, lots of grassy areas, birds up the wazoo.

Cons - Maintenance on old house, having to spray 90 fruit and nut trees (I didn't do it), having to maintain the koi pond, the roaming dogs that came to eat my chickens. Man, I hated those dogs with a passion.

Now, evaluating this data, I think what I am looking for is:

A newer house on one acre, with zoning that will allow for a couple of chickens should I have the urge again. I really enjoyed wandering out and collecting my morning egg. And that fertilizer is great for the garden. Fencing to keep out stray dogs. A few fruit trees, two apple, an apricot or peach and definately a lemon tree. Dwarf size, so I can spray without calling in professionals. Low maintenance will be the major issue. Because I have to do it!! That is the main lesson I learned on my mini-farm....while there will be help on occasion, be prepared to do it all yourself most of the time.

Here are a couple of digital scrapbooking pages that show my favorite parts of my short time mini-farm.





Click on pictures to see full size





Judging from what I am seeing on Realtor.com I stand a chance of finding the perfect place.


Technorati tags:




2 comments:

TheClayBlog said...

Good luck finding a place! I like your digital scrapbook stuff. I need to look into that!

Idle-wandering said...

EEEEEE - Marysville. I live on the east coast, but I went out to Marysville a few years ago to see the Bokkai temple. I'm doing research for a book. I met some lovely people who gave me a tour of the temple and the old Chinatown area. It was a wonderful experience and that's a gorgeous part of California. Thanks for the pictures and the memories!!