Tuesday, May 16, 2006


Beanie Babies and Clay Aiken. Two of my more "enthusiastic" interests over the past few years. By enthusiastic I mean, while I am an avid reader and have always read and always will read, I don't spend time on the internet tracking "stuff" down, nor have I ever stood in long lines for a new book. I've done both of those, and more, for Beanie's and Clay Aiken. The beanie baby craze started on the internet. The supply was far below the demand in the beginning and people started searching for the little critters on ebay and on-line specialty stores. It became known there was a scarcity, the furor rose and the craze evolved. It was like the stock market. People actually thought they would get rich. Buy up all these beanbags, put them in the attic, and someday they would be worth a fortune. Ty Warner is the only one who became rich. I didn't get in on the beginning, my dtr-in-law brought me a little red lobster they had gotten with a McDonald's happy meal, I said, "What is this", googled and spent the next couple of years tracking down the next little cat or bear. That is "Frigid" the Penguin above. And, that is Clay Aiken in a penguin suit, below.

During a business meeting I once went to, a friend and I went shopping and found a couple of Beanie treasures. She wasn't as avid as I, said she was buying them for a niece (sure) and when we got out to the car and I offered her a couple of tag protectors (heaven forbid the tags would get a wrinkle or the clack should skip, if you know what I mean). She had a laughing fit and said I was the only person she had ever known who carried tag protectors when she travelled. What? You say, what is a tag protector? Read up on the importance of tags here.

About Beanies - Tags

During the most intense stage of the craze, Princess Diana died and Ty issued "Princess" a purple bear honoring Diana. All proceeds from the sale of the beanie would go to Diana's personal charity. We used to go to Beanie Baby shows and I personally stood right next to a man who admitted to having paid $400 for Princess and was lamenting they were going for only $50.00 at the show.


I got my first Princess Beanie Baby at the Hallmark store located right under my dentist's office. A cap on one of my front teeth had come off and I was on my way over for repair. Passing by the Hallmark I saw the mass of people and, knowing what was up, ran inside to get in line to secure the coveted $400 beanie. For $6.95, yet. Running upstairs, late to my appointment, I flashed a toothless grin at the receptionist and said "Look what I got downstairs", the hygeniest wandered by and was interested in my news, the doctor's wife came to get me to take me into a room and got a wicked gleam in her eye when I said "Princess" "Downstairs", the prep gal got the news while she was getting me (quickly) ready for the dentist. I sat there for awhile thinking it was awfully quiet...all of a sudden I opened my eyes and there stood my nice dentist - "Are you the one who emptied out my office?" as he brandished the drill in my face - well, I made that last part up, but for a moment my life passed before my eyes. LOL.

Some similarities between Beanie Babies and Clay Aiken, based solely on my own experience and/or "enthusiasm".

...Beanie popularity started on the internet, Clay had a huge internet fan base almost immediately.

...People stood in long lines and made friends in front of the Hallmark stores. They slept on the street for days when it was known a new shipment was due at a particular store. It was usually the same people, so you got to know them. People stood in long lines for Clay tickets and books and heaven only knows my DIL and I not only slept on the street at Hollywood and Highland to see Clay on Ryan on Air, but we drove down from San Francisco to do it!

... People drove long distances when they heard of the elusive "Seaweed" or "Peace" in another town. You don't want to know how many miles I have driven or miles I have flown to see Clay perform.

...Websites sprung up all over the place for beanie collectors. I am willing to bet Clay websites and blogs exceed the total number of all other AI contestants many, many times over.

...E-Bay was a beanie baby magnet. Buying and selling of beanie babies was huge. Try putting a Clay Aiken item on e-bay and watch the bids come in!!

...Beanies are a "real" toy. By that I mean that they weren't created with the mighty dollar in mind. They weren't born out of a movie or a tv show, they were just cute stuffed toys a child could love and collect. They aren't advertised on TV. Clay Aiken is also the real deal. Someone who just wants to sing and entertain and work with his charities. There is no artifice about him, he is who he seems to be. Comfortable in his own skin and unpretentious. And, sometimes I think he's full of beans!

Because of being on the Clay boards, I gave away the first batch of "extra" beanies to a childrens hospital in California. A member of the board was doing some charity work for the hospital and I asked her via PM if they would be interested in beanies, she checked and they would. So I met her at the preparty for the show and we loaded beanie babies into her trunk. I had no idea who she really was, LOL. We have since attended many concerts around the country together.

Now, some might saw "enthusiasm" is not the right word...that perhaps it should be "obsession", but I don't really think so. I'm glad I got over the beanie baby craze, one can only house so many of the darn things. However, - my traveling to see Clay in concert included many side trips to see historical sights, visits to all kinds of places I might never have seen. I drove through the Smokies and Appalachia last summer. I drove through Wheeling, West Virginia and Martins Ferry, Ohio which were founded by ancestors. I visited my father's grave in Lancaster, Ohio and visited the Zane Grey Museum in Zanesville. I was at Clio and Kettering and others. The fair in Indianapolis gave me both Clay and Keith Urban - there was a campground right on the fairgrounds and I spent an extra day just visiting the fair. God, I really want an Alpaca, LOL. To cap it all off, I drove home to Arizona on the famous Route 66. Now, how can that be anything but good?

A Link to the official Beanie Baby website - a nice safe place for your children to be on-line. Beanie Babies

Technorati tags:


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did the Beanie Baby thing, too. We must have been nuts, huh??

Anonymous said...

Beanie Babies are cute and at least your grandchildren take them off your hands on a regular basis.lol

The ConCLAYve-Nan said...

I never got into Beanie Babies - but if they made a Clay version - I think I'd take up the hobby!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, they should make a Clay beanie baby. I'd buy it!

Very cute story about your dentist.