Tuesday, May 09, 2006

8/9/05 - This is the day of the "longest drive". I have to make it from Vienna, Va to Columbus, Ohio in time for my meet and greet. My concert companion has decided to keep her car as she will be going on to Musikfest after Columbus, while I will go down to Lancaster, Ohio for a couple of days. She will now join me in Columbus in a couple of days and go on to Michigan and Indiana with me from there. So, I'm on my own for the long trip and it starts out rainy....a long day, I navigated heavy fog on a mountain top, lots and lots of trucks....was in Va, Del, Pa, WV and Ohio before I arrived at the fairgrounds.

Meet and Greet - OK, now first I have to say that I am one that has stated she didn't care if she got a M&G at all, and to some extent I still do think they are an artificial way to meet someone....but it does give you an opportunity to stand right next to the guy, make direct eye contact, get a little body contact (hand shake, hug), exchange a couple of words, have your picture taken with him and get something autographed. Although I got the standing next to and the eye contact in Greenville, I wasn't about to pass this up!!!

They lined us up outside in the heat and humidity (so we would smell fragrant for Clay would be my guess) and when it was time they brought us through the venue and lined us up outside again at the back. The buses were there. Mary was wandering around talking on a phone, lots of security guys. There was a podium along side of a chain link fence and they lined us up in front of that, it was very organized. Mary stood beside the podium and Nick alongside. You handed your camera to Nick who would take the picture and your object to be signed to Mary.

Here is Clay walking across to the M&G area - nice of him to "dress up" for us. He looks very cute, huh?






I took a few pictures as we got closer to the podium......here is one. I love how casual and relaxed he looked.




Now, they do run you through as quickly as possible. I handed Mary my Clay calendar and had to explain I didn't want him to sign the picture, but on the white, calendar, part. We got that straight, I handed Nick the camera (neglecting to adjust the zoom, which is why you will see Clay and I up close and personal...in a sec. Nick takes one picture, that's it, if you don't like it, too bad. Clay asked my name and I mumbled something....I think it was the right name, it appears correctly on the calendar, although he did ask how to spell it and we discussed why someone would spell Cindy Cyndi....LOL. Then, when he was deciding where to sign I said well, you can sign on the 24th as that is my birthday and so he did, but I wish I hadn't done that, I hadn't meant to, it just slipped out....cuz then I got a couple Happy Birthday's before we were done!! Marhaven hates having birthdays. And, he signed it Happy Birthday, Cindy....So, then, I move over for the picture, he puts his arm around me and Nick shoots the pic. A security guard then becomes your companion and you are ushered back into the venue.

My overall impression of non-concert Clay was of a very sweet, kind and gentle man. Someone we would hand our daughters over to in a heartbeat.....and those that are young enough, someone to hope to find for ourselves someday. It was a great experience.

So, that was my meet and greet....short, but very sweet!!! And, here is our picture.







The concert....oh, yeah....we were here for a concert!!! Well, it was wonderful. I am puzzled at times how he just seems to get better...it is clear Ohio loves Clay - the noise was overwhelming at times. And, as usual, he reacts to the enthusiasm and really gets into it. I truly fell in love with A Thousand Days in this concert. He put everything he had into it and it was obvious he loves the song and now I do too.. Just a spectacular concert.

Thats all I have to say for now.

No comments: