Saturday, June 03, 2006

Blog - Strange word. The dictionary says:

Main Entry: blog
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: an online diary; a personal chronological log of thoughts published on a Web page; also called Weblog, Web log
Example: Typically updated daily, blogs often reflect the personality of the author.
Etymology: shortened form of Weblog
Usage: blog, blogged, blogging v, blogger n


So, a blog is just a diary. I've tried to keep diaries over the years. It usually stops about January 15th of each year, along with any New Years Resolutions I might have made. Interesting that "diaries" are back in fashion.

The Diary of Samuel Pepys (1660-69)is one of the most well known. And, of course, there is the Diary of Anne Frank. Oscar Wilde said: "I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train." I think my favorite quote about diaries comes from Tallulah Bankhead who said "It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time"


To read more great quotes from diaries, try this Link.
Diary Quotes





My great grandmother, Mary was a diarist extraordinaire. I have her diaries dating from 1900 through 1926. She wrote every day. Every single day. I can tell you the temperature every day for 26 years. Not kidding. Mary was not one to bare her soul, however, the diaries are about events, not feelings. When Mary's son, my grandfather, was about to marry a woman 9 years older than he, Mary only worried about Miss Allen's health. Well, Miss Allen's health was fine - she outlived them all, living to a nice 88 years of age.

My mom and dad used to read the diaries in bed at night but I have to admit to only reading the first 9 years so far. I have transcribed several of them but the fountain pen ink is fading rapidly so I finally decided to start scanning them. That way I can "photoshop" them for posterity and if I never get them all transcribed, at least they won't be lost They are hard to read.
This particular entry is from 1919. It says:
_______________
The 1st day of January
Temp 54 degrees above am - Wednesday
Cloudy this New Year's morning & raining at intervals. Council decided at meeting last night to continue "Central time" - too bad! As we are entitled to "Eastern time". Lucien to office as usual on New Year's morning - will come home to Lunch. Nellie & Jack came out 11 a.m., soon after Phil called up having just ret'd from Pitts. Jack took their car down for Philip passing his grand-father on Pike (coming home to lunch & to spend remainder of day) Lucien has bad head-ache & at night developed into sick headache. So nice to have the children with us this New Year's day. Letter from Rebecca. Children went home before dark as the roads are bad. Log-fire all day in Library. Retired early but not to sleep on a/c of poor Lucien's sick head-ache. Getting colder this evening.
_______________

Mary died in 1927, I wonder what she would make of a page of her diary being included on a blog on the internet for all the world to read. Just a random page, to be sure not the most interesting page....one observation on this entry - The Jack who drove the car into town to get his father Philip was my father and on January 1, 1919 he was a few months into his 14th year. Guess kids didn't have to wait until their 16th birthdays to drive in 1919. Busted, dad!!!

Technorati tags:








3 comments:

Rose said...

It is fascinating to read diaries and letters from days gone by. I have a huge box full of correspondence that my grandmother saved. People used to really talk when they wrote. I never write letters. Sometimes I wonder what will be remembered about me in future generations.

I am really enjoying the music!

marhaven said...

You are right, letter writing was an art we have lost. I can't tell you when I have sent an actual letter. I even do electronic Christmas letters now, LOL.

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»