Tuesday, August 26, 2008


Christmas in August
Clay Aiken
Minneapolis Orchestra


I meant to do this last month - you know, Christmas in JULY? But, the summer is slipping away, camping trips, gardening....all the things that fill my days. I had forgotten I had these videos from the 2007 Clay Aiken Christmas Concert in Minneapolis.

Although it's not far to Minneapolis from where I live, it was my first Christmas in snow country and I was a little afraid to drive so I flew!! I was meeting up with a friend and we connected at the airport and made our way to the hotel which was only a block from an entrance to the skyway. Downtown Minneapolis has a skyway linking all the big buildings so one can move around without having to go outside. Very cool - or warm, in this case. There are 8 miles of these glass "tunnels" connecting buildings. Minneapolis has the largest skyway system in the world, linking nearly 80 blocks of downtown attractions, businesses and hotels.

This concert was a twofer, December 19th and 20th at the Minneapolis Orchestra Hall.

Here's Don't Save it all for Christmas Day from the first night. Sorry, I missed a bar or two at the beginning, LOL.





I had wonderful seats, second row right in the middle and he looked and sounded marvelous.



And this one is obviously from Jingle Bells, LOL.



A silhouette during one of the story readings.



And for those that appreciate the hands on the microphone.



These last two videos are of medleys from the second concert. Again, I missed a little here and there and they aren't the best, but there are some wonderful moments that I think you will appreciate. It's glasses Clay - complete with the twinkle in his eye. Enjoy.









Remember, above, that I mentioned I was nervous about driving in the winter? Well, after two wonderful concerts and beautiful Christmas lights and atmosphere in downtown Minneapolis I arrived at the airport and discovered my flight was cancelled and since it was Christmas time - yeah, you guessed it - no flights available. I'll have to give them credit, though. They had a whole fleet of buses outside and they loaded us in and DROVE us back to Madison, Wisconsin. So, I ended up "driving" anyway!! And, I was only 6 hours late getting in. It was a scary ride, but I had my trusty ZEN to listen to and when I got to Madison at 2:00AM, my son picked me up and we slid into his driveway just as the roads turned to ice and the torrential downpour turned white. All in all and exciting adventure. And we had a white Christmas.

Technorati tags:





34 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is never too soon for Clay Aiken's Christmas music.

Don't Save it All for Christmas Day!!!

Anonymous said...

Clay looked so wonderful, sounded so wonderful, and simply was so wonderful on the last Christmas tour. I will miss that this year.Clay Aiken and Christmas just go together.

Deona said...

Thank you for sharing your pictures and video! They are great! And Clay was looking particularly handsome that night. Yum!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you didn't save it all for Christmas Day.

Since Clay Aiken is going to be doing Spamalot during the Christmas season this year, please be sure to bring this back at Christmastime too!!

SueReu said...

How fun is this blog??? I loved your videos, loved your pictures, loved your story about the flights (although that had to have been very stressful)

Clay Aiken sure knows how to do Christmas!!!!

Unknown said...

Marhaven it looks like you had a wonderful time in Minneapolis at the Clay Aiken show. He's so handsome in your wonderful pics.

Anonymous said...

It will be strange to have Christmas without a tour this year. I haven't miss3ed one since he started. Christmas and Clay Aiken have become a tradition for me.

Anonymous said...

Christmas in August!!! Clay Aiken is good anytime.

Chitter said...

Oh I just loved your CHRISTMAS IN JULY - errr August
Wow did he look handsome!
What a treat.
Thanks

added you to my blogroll

Anonymous said...

Clay Aiken and Christmas go together. I hope he finds a way to do something this Christmas even though he's in Spamalot.

Rhode Island Fan said...

I loved reading this. It brought back memories of my own Clay Aiken Christmas concert. We too had weather worries, but we all made it and would not have missed it for the world. I loved hearing the new song, "Welcome To Our World" live for the first time. Nobody does Christmas like Clay Aiken!!

Anonymous said...

I love his Christmas singing any time of year! The songs are beautiful and you can tell he's singing with feeling behind it. He truly "feels" Christmas.

Anonymous said...

I am particularly fond of Clay Aiken's Christmas music, his voice soars to heavens.

Dianajoe said...

I will miss my Clay Aiken Christmas. Loved the blog Mar.

katy said...

Christmas and Clay Aiken just go together. Love em both!!

Anonymous said...

Clay Aiken and Christmas! My two favorite things!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Clay Aiken at Christmas. And if his Christmas songs pop up on my iPod during "shuffle", I never skip them....even if it's August and 100 degrees. Wonderful videos!

Anonymous said...

Clay Aiken has such a superb voice - this Christmas music is so powerful! Thanks for these memories...

Anonymous said...

I didn't think I cared for glasses on Clay but seeing these videos I may have to make an exception. Very handsome indeed. I don't need to even comment on the voice, do I? Sensational as always.

Anonymous said...

Clay Aiken is so talented, I am glad that others are re-discovering him.

Anonymous said...

It's always Christmas when Clay sings and performs because he is such a gift! Thanks for sharing your pics and video -- they're gorgeous, just like he is.

BTW, love your kitty widget! I fed them today, too!

Anonymous said...

Nobody sings Christmas songs better than Clay Aiken! Last year's Christmas concerts were outstanding!
-VoxAngelicus-

Anonymous said...

I love the way that Clay Aiken sings Christmas songs! His performances at last year's Christmas concerts were wonderful, as usual.

BichonLover said...

Thank you for sharing your story of these wonderful Clay Aiken Christmas concerts, Marhaven! It sounds like you had a precious experience that made even the scary trip home totally worthwhile. I'm glad you were safe! :-)

Anonymous said...

Love Clay Aiken Christmas music any time!!

Anonymous said...

Loved, loved, loved these viseos!!!

I can never get enough of Clay Aiken's Christmas music. Just gorgeous!

~Shycon

Ashes said...

Anytime is good for Christmas with Clay! Thank you for the lovely photos and the videos. They are great :) You were so lucky to have been there in spite of the weather.
Hugs

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a wonderful winter walk down memory lane.

Anonymous said...

Clay does look very handsome doesn't he? Clay Aiken has more looks than anyone out there. Blond one day and brunette the next. What a chameleon he is. A very handsome chameleon though. LOL

katy said...

Great blog and videos. Hope we see Clay Aiken singing on tv Christmas 2008.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Blog! I really enjoyed the videos. Brings back lots of memories and great times. Your driving story made me smile. Only a few short months and it will be snowing here like crazy. Ahhh... I think I need to go listen to Don't Save It All For Christmas Day. "A hug is warmer when you're in it" gets me every time!

Dianne Barbee said...

Marhaven,

Thank you for bringing us a "Clay Aiken Christmas" in August. Perhaps it will also cool the temps around the country, LOL!

Have a great week!

Caro

jbc4clay said...

Marhaven, I just have had a chance to visit your blog! I love Christmas in September!
I am adding you to my Blog Roll.

Ashes said...

Marhaven, I had a yen to see Clay Aiken & christmas again. I like rubbing the kitties tummy too, LOL