Monday, August 18, 2008



Whooping Crane

International Crane Foundation

Baraboo, Wi



This last weekend we went camping at Devil's Lake State Park, located a little south of Baraboo, Wi. As I got there first and had a morning before the rest of the family joined me I took the opportunity to visit the International Crane Foundation facility. As a birder, I wanted to add the bird to my life list. Chances were slim I would see this endangered species in the wild, so I was excited about my visit.

Frankly, knowing they were almost extinct at one point was about all I knew about whooping cranes, but I came away from my visit a member of the foundation and I am looking forward this fall to watching a group of captive bred chicks follow an ultralight airplane from Wisconsin to Florida on their first migration. Who knew?


At one point during the 1940's there were less than 20 known whooping cranes left in the wild. Their migratory path originated in Wood Buffalo National Park in the Northwest Territories of Canada, where they nested and raised their young. In the fall they flew south 2500 miles to Aransas National Wildlife Refuge in Texas where they spend the winter and early spring. In 1993 a second flock of Whooping Cranes was reintroduced in central Florida. An average of 20 chicks, hatched and reared in captivity, have been released at the Florida site each year in an effort to establish a new flock of non-migratory Whoopers. The third flock, however, is being trained to migrate. The birds spend spring and summer at Necedah National Wildlife Refuge in Wisconsin and migrate to Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge in west Florida for winter.


Today, the total population of the three flocks has increased to over 500.


Birds like geese and cranes who migrate during the day have no inbred sense of where to go - the chicks learn the path by flying south with their parents and the next trip they are on their own and remember the way home. Obviously, with captive bred chicks (or orphans) that first trip is not going to happen naturally. So, man has come up with a clever way to lead young cranes on their first migration - the ultralight airplane. They call them trikes - and that's what they look like. Here's a picture I borrowed from one of the sites linked in this blog.





In Necedah (say Nuh SEE duh) National Wildlife Refuge in Central Wisconsin 16 chicks hatched in captivity in 2008 are being readied for their first flight to Florida. Here is the website to track their progress - Whooping Crane Journey South. This is a great site for children to participate and comes with downloadable booklets, etc. aimed at the younger crowd.

I don't pretend to know much about this yet, but since I am so close to the ICF and the Necedah National Wildlife Refuge I plan on learning more. I also plan to watch thse little guys head south starting in October. You can see their pictures on the link above.

A website with tons of information, additional links, pictures, etc - Operation Migration. This is the 8th year of this program, in which pilots wear crane costumes to teach the young birds to bond with and follow the pilot.

The facility I visited - International Crane Foundation says -
The International Crane Foundation (ICF) works worldwide to conserve cranes and the wetland and grassland ecosystems on which they depend. ICF is dedicated to providing experience, knowledge, and inspiration to involve people in resolving threats to these ecosystems

In addition to conservation methods, the foundation is also a founding member of the Whooping Cranes Eastern Partnership, which is a group of non-profit organizations dedicated to bringing a migratory flock of whooping cranes back to the eastern USA.

At the ICF there is a natural wetlands habitat for the whooping cranes and they house many other international cranes in enclosures. They are presently under construction for a new natural habitat which will be home for some of those cranes.

International Crane Foundation (ICF) page on the Whooping Crane - ICF - Whooping Crane

There are many nature walks at the facility, lots and lots of wildflowers - I am told it is spectacular in May but the best thing of all were the whooping cranes.

Here are a couple of my pictures.








Technorati tags:











6 comments:

Ashes said...

Marhaven,

What an interesting read, thank you! I had no idea about the training of the chicks path to migrate on, without a mamma to lead them.

When I was little (a loooong time ago) the whoopers would fly over our farm. When they did everything would stop to hear them..farmers in the fields even. At our country school the teacher would scoot everyone outside for the sight & sound.

Ashes

Dianne Barbee said...

Marhaven,

I, too, found your blog very interesting. A city gal, I haven't had much experience with our fine-feathered friends.

The most recent close encounter was the Sunday morning I was headed to a church gig 15 miles away. There is a lake along the way, and just as I got there, the lead goose led a parade across the road. Traffic in both directions could only wait and watch. *g*

Have an awesome weekend!

Caro

Anonymous said...

That was cool!

Anonymous said...

I love the story of the cranes. Thanks.

Ashes said...

Marhaven,

Thank you for commenting on my new blog :) I'm pleased you enjoyed the song choice for this one.
Speaking of songs, yet again I'm in awe again listening to OMWH, every time I hear it. Such a beautiful song, by a beautiful man.

hosaa said...

Marhaven,

your pictures are beautiful. What a wonderful way to combine hobbies, birding and photography!

I'll have to check out your scrapbooking posts too.

hugs,
hosaa